The global horizontal directional drilling market is expected to reach nearly $15 billion by 2022.Precision directional boring and commercial boring is currently used for many things including gas pipelines, telecommunications, oil lines and product pipelines among other things.
It is estimated that are their currently about 2.5 million miles of pipelines to transport fuel products from source to market in the United States. Horizontal directional drilling (HDD) and precision directional boring helps produce twice the amount of gas being extracted when compared to traditional methods.
When it comes to utility locating, precision directional boring is an alternative to trenching for laying utilities and conduits. Digging trenches to lay pipe for utilities is often a messy job and can impact the surrounding area. Precision directional boring and commercial boring uses HDD and a predetermined route in which the utilities are placed. Rather than having a long, wide, gaping trench, precision directional boring leaves entry and exit points, much the way surgeries have become less invasive.
HDD is also a safe, efficient, cost effective method for highway bores and the current industry standard for trenchless technology for bores between two and 48-inch diameters and 600 feet to 1,800 feet in length.
In addition to making utility locating easier, there are many other benefits of precision directional boring. These include:
- lower costs: Small crews lead to fewer expenses on the job
- jobs being done faster: There’s less disruption to landscaping with boring, so that means jobs can be done a lot quicker.
- less disruption of traffic
- Durability: If you have jobs that require horizontal drilling, you can rest easy knowing that any piping you lay is going to be very strong and last a long time.
- reduced environmental impact: since your pipe connections are durable and long lasting, that means there will be less soil contamination when drilling takes place
- longer, deep installations that are less evasive
Precision directional boring also makes construction projects easier. Trenchless boring eliminates the messy, dirty work environment that often sees gaping holes of earth with dirt, rocks and other sediment laying every which way. Directional boring also cuts down on equipment and workforce, which ultimately saves money.
Boring contractors and boring and trenching companies offer a wide range of services including trenchless technology. Companies such as We-Bore-It offer services such as road and highway boring, residential driveway boring, commercial boring, parking lot boring and under house/foundational boring that is quick and less evasive.