Rulers and scales. Thermometers and rain gauges. when it comes to measurement tools, some are far more common than others. Although torque analyzers and load cell calibrations may be less common forms of measurement services, they are no less important to scientists and engineers around the world. Measurement services involve a variety of technologies and allow scientists and engineers across a variety of fields to further their research and exploration.
Types of Measurement Devices
- Mass flow meter. This measurement service determines the mass flow rate of any fluid that is capable of traveling through a tube.
- Electrochemical fatigue crack sensor. This system can detect a single crack or many cracks in the field. It is able to measure an abnormality as small as 0.01 inches in an actual structure.
- Accelerometer. This tool is used to measure physical accelerations. Incorporated into work by engineers in a variety of fields, this measurement system can be used to measure physical acceleration of automobiles, ships, planes, and even space ships.
- Strain gauge. Using the physical property of electrical conductance, this device measures the physical strain on an object. Used in most load cells, this technology has been used for at least 40 years.
- Universal measuring machine. A very slow working machine that requires a very skilled and patient operator, a universal measuring machine determines geometric locations of specific items.
- Rotameter. Another measuring device with a very specific purpose, a rotameter determines the pressure of a liquid or gas that is contained in a closed tube
- Electrometer. As its name suggests, this machine is used to determine an electric charge.
These six devices are just a small list of the many measurement services that are available to scientists, engineers, and physicists who require exact measurements. In many of these situations before any part of research can begin, the tools must first be calibrated. Calibrating an instrument involves comparing the measurements produced by two different instruments. The first instrument has a known magnitude or correctness and is called the standard device. This standard device is then compared against the second instrument. The combination of well calibrated machines and meticulous research teams creates much of the scientific study that propels this company’s scientific and engineering advancements.